Whether you are embarking on a new business adventure or are a seasoned business owner, one factor is likely to be a constant – the need for a website. Be it on desktop, mobile or app, today’s websites are a crucial interface for businesses and their customers.
The best websites are essential business tools, used to establish credibility and build trust with customers. They provide all the information essentials, showcase products and services, answer common questions, and even facilitate end-to-end transactions.
As the world evolves to address our new way of living, websites are playing a bigger role than ever. Failing to nail your online presence could see potential customers trickle right through your fingers. While some simple websites can indeed be built yourself, placing the digital fate of your business is best left to the professionals.
So where does one turn for this type of assistance? The answer is simple – to Canberra’s best web developers. Web developers are masters of programming, whipping up stellar digital platforms that grace the world wide web. They manipulate code to design aesthetically pleasing online destinations that are intuitive to use at the same time. They can also take care of ongoing maintenance, web hosting, content and image sourcing, and search engine optimisation.
With that in mind, a web developer can be one of your most critical service hires. In effect, they create the online face of your business, so it is important to get it right the first time. Failing to select the right web developer can be a business risk, both in terms of time and money – but also in potential customer attrition. Thankfully, Canberra is home to some of the brightest technical minds in the national web development game, and below we’ve put together a list of the best.
What makes a great web developer?
Great web developers are programming whisperers, using their technical expertise and creative flair to whip up functionally brilliant and visually beautiful websites. Here is what we think are the characteristics of the best operators:
- Expertise in your area of need. While IT qualifications are important, what you really want to understand is a web developer’s skill set. Ideally, their area of expertise matches the needs of your project in terms of industry, functionality, and scale. Moreover, consider the set of services each web development firm offers – some will be full service, while others may specialise in an area or two. Seek out recommendations from across your professional network and scour websites you admire for details on who created them. Finally, consider your needs; be they design, development, cross-platform, SEO and content – and match them accordingly.
- Ahead of the curve. The informatics sector moves more swiftly than many others in Canberra and around the globe. Innovation occurs at lightning speed, and great web developers adopt it swiftly and well ahead of the curve. While searching for a web development team, it’s important to consider two things. First, the currency of their existing skill set. And second, how they have adopted trending standards within the industry. Having an agile team that can demonstrate learning ahead of the curve ensures you are presented with the latest options for your website.
- Great communication. While most web developers are technically brilliant, fewer are as impressive when it comes to interpersonal communication. And when the stakes are high – as they are for web builds – communication is fundamental to ensuring the brief is met. The best web developers are also great communicators. They are excellent listeners, masters of conflict resolution, and know how to keep all in their employ on task.
- Project prowess. Conceiving a brilliant website is one thing, executing it is another. The best web development teams pull together projects with ease. They are well organised, structured and efficient, clearly guiding clients through each phase from start to end. The best are organisational experts with well-documented briefing and specification processes, precise wireframes, and functional staging sites to preview. They adhere to critical paths, stick to deadlines, take feedback well and communicate effectively. Importantly, they keep you up to speed with the project timeline and involve you as needed.
- Super support. In the world of web development, ongoing support is critical. A great website should never remain static, so chances are that you will require updates. This may come in the form of image and copy changes for simple things such as business hours or procedures. Moreover, there may be new site features or new usability needs to be addressed. A good web development company will provide the tools to add content and new pages and make minor alterations. They will also have a plan that includes scheduled maintenance and periodic performance reviews. The best web developers will also be ready and waiting with super levels of ongoing support. They will have a large pool of resources, offer a quick turnaround, and have teams available as needed.
- Local teams. The field of information technology does have its quirks, one of these being the use of international teams. While global teams present some cost advantages, nothing compares to working with a crew with a local presence. Not only will a local team be working in your time zone, it will also understand the nature of the local market. Most importantly, local teams avoid double-handling and minimise miscommunication.
The best web developers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintained a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
OPC IT designs, develops, delivers and maintains state-of-the art websites. The specialists at OPC IT have deep knowledge and extensive experience with the latest versions of GovCMS, Drupal and WordPress.
Services also include managing web services, support, hosting, and training.
Search engine optimisation is a sharp focus, so clients maximise their websites. This includes a well-organised structure, clean code and optimised images to improve visibility and drive traffic to client websites.
OPC IT creates website designs to enhance useability, credibility and effectiveness. The design process puts users at the centre, where they need to be. OPC IT’s websites are both functional and enjoyable to use.
The website design and developer experts at OPC IT also specialise in optimising websites for mobile use, critical in today’s environment. Websites are easily accessible and user-friendly on all devices.
OPC IT experts also support clients to make a great first impression with professional branding on websites, that work hard in a competitive marketplace.
Importantly, all sites designed and developed by OPC IT adhere to industry-standard cryptographic measures.
OPC IT – a quality technology provider – has been operating in Canberra since 1985. Local and family owned, OPT IT works across multiple industries providing end-to-end services and building professional relationships grounded in mutual trust.
Michael Sassella wrote on Google, “My workplace uses OPC for its IT and OPC does a great job. It is responsive and has the most obliging, technically competent staff who are always ready to help when I contact them for service.”
Locally based OSKY are a digital agency who are driven by the desire to enhance and enrich their client’s businesses. The team pride themselves on getting you know clients first – their mission, their team, their audience, and what drives them. Then, they decode human behaviour and leverage it to design, create and implement a digital experience.
Services include user interface and experience, solution architecture, web and app development, technical support, and business analytics. Their team specialises in WordPress, Drupal, Laravel and other open-source platforms. For team with hustler spirit and a humble mentality see OSKY.
Irene Fung shared her experience with the team on Google, “We worked with OSKY to build more sophisticated features on our website. OSKY was not only quick and responsive to our questions, they were also able to provide sound advice and solutions that were suitable to our needs. It was a pleasure working with the OSKY team, especially Bruce, and we would highly recommend their services to organisations of any size and needs.”
Founder and principal front end developer Sarah Oates established Endure to help small businesses better represent themselves without needing to pay high end agency prices. They are passionate about designing and building beautiful and impactful websites that help businesses stand out.
They also understand that their clients require more than simply websites and offer a range of ancillary services including branding and graphic design, along with web hosting and maintenance. Whilst the team love working with local Canberra businesses, many of their clients are national and even worldwide. For a personalised experience tailored to your small business Endure makes for an excellent choice.
SField shared this glowing review of the team on Google, “I approached Endure Web Studios without knowing anything about the company. My experience with them has been wonderful in every sense of the word. They approached my business request with professionalism, quickly understanding my brief and my expectations. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy they made what was a complex process….”
With a phenomenal reputation for excellence, Subz Designs are one of the regions leading full-service web development firms. They provide a comprehensive range of digital solutions for businesses, including web design and development, app development, hosting and maintenance, graphic design, SEO, and social media marketing.
Subz Designs are renowned for their creative flair, technical know-how and unwavering integrity. They strive to create long lasting client relationships built on transparency and outstanding customer service. For a team of experts who are passionate in what they do look to Subz Designs.
Complete Electrical had this to say on Google “We approached Subz Designs for our website development. Tansu has been very helpful throughout the whole process. We are extremely happy with the service!”
Project Simple was founded with the desire to remove the obstacles which typically prevent Canberra business from digital growth with a professional website. They aim to make owning a website simple, supplying all the tools clients need in the one place.
Project Simple offer custom built mobile responsive websites, optimised for search with unlimited design revisions and twelve months free hosting. To find out how Project Simple can simplify kicking off your next website contact them today.
Brandon Hart had this to say about the team on Google, “I used simple websites direct to help me build a website for my trade business…. I would absolutely recommend these guys to anyone needing a website. Thanks again for a job well done.”
To explore related services, check out our articles on the best web designers, the best marketing agencies, and the best PR and copywriting services in Canberra. If you’re looking for helpful information on improving your business, you might like to read our article on the best managed information technology support services and the best business advisers in Canberra.
Your experience with web developers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the web developers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a web developer?
What does a web developer do?
Generally, web developers are responsible for conceiving, designing, creating, deploying, testing and maintaining web-based software applications. Specific roles vary depending on a web developer’s area of specialisation, be it front end, back end or full stack.
What qualifications should a developer have?
While it is possible to work as a developer without qualifications, most will have a professional qualification in computer science with a focus on web development. Such qualifications include a Certificate IV in Information Technology along with a diploma or bachelor’s degree in information technology, majoring in website development.
How much does it cost to build a website?
Naturally, the cost of building a website varies according to the type of functionality needed. A simple static website can be achieved for as little as $2000; a conversion-based website can start from $5000; with ecommerce functionality upwards of $15,000; and a custom enterprise-grade build upwards of $20,000. A few variables can influence pricing, such as a template or custom design; volume of webpages; depth of content; media, including images and video; SEO; and any additional functionality. To obtain a quote for your next website build, speak with your local web developer.
How do web developers charge?
Web developers are typically found via a web design company, web design agency, or as freelancers. Most web developers work on a time basis. This means they utilise project requirements to predict the time needed and multiply that figure by an hourly rate. This hourly rate can vary upwards of $150. For further details, contact your local web development team.